I can’t wait to give this recipe a whirl – I think I’ll add in a few more chipotles then what’s called for in the iingredient list – maybe even a few habs for a bit more heat.
January 18, 2006
Olive oil (for the pan)
2 pounds 80 percent lean ground beef
1/3 cup ketchup
1 1/2 teaspoons each kosher salt and pepper
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon canned chipotle peppers en adobo, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons shredded romano cheese
4 red onions
1. Set oven at 375 degrees. Lightly oil a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, combine the beef, ketchup, egg, salt, pepper, bread crumbs, chipotle peppers and their sauce, garlic, and cheese. Mix well.
3. Press the mixture into the loaf pan and cover with foil. Set the loaf on a rimmed baking sheet.
4. Peel the onions. Using a small knife, cut a cross into the pointed end of each onion, cutting only halfway down. Rub the onions with oil and sprinkle with salt. In a baking dish, set onions cut sides up. Gently splay the layers.
5. Roast the onions for 45 minutes. Bake the meatloaf for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for 10 minutes or until browned.
6. Serve the meatloaf cut into slices with the onions.
Adapted from Parish Cafe