Devil's Delight Cookies
DEVIL’S DELIGHT COOKIES
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
• 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
• 1/2 c. plus 2 tsp. flour
• 3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1/4 tsp. baking powder
• 1/4 tsp. chipotle chile or cayenne pepper powder
• 1/4 tsp. salt
• 5 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 c. plus 1 tbsp. sugar
• 3 eggs
• 2 tsp. Mexican vanilla extract
• 1 (3.3-oz.) Vosges Red Fire chocolate bar, chopped
• 1/2 c. (3 oz.) cinnamon chips, such as Hershey Cinnamon Chips
• 4 tsp. sugar
• 4 tsp. cinnamon
• 1/8 tsp. chipotle chili or cayenne pepper powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a double boiler over simmering water, melt bittersweet chocolate until smooth. Remove from heat and cool melted chocolate for 10 minutes.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, chili powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until crumbly.
Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue to beat until mixture is pale, light and creamy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low, add lukewarm melted chocolate and vanilla, and beat until just combined. Fold in flour mixture, then fold in chopped chocolate bar and cinnamon chips. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon and chile pepper powder.
Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Sprinkle a pinch of dusting mixture over each cookie and bake 16 minutes, or until tops are evenly cracked but cookies are not yet firm to the touch. Remove from oven and cool cookies completely on baking sheets.